Monday, February 19, 2007

Battling the Audiophase mp3 player

Just bought a cheapo mp3 player a week ago: the Audiophase KP512. I think the information here is probably useful to any of the Audiophase mp3 players (I know there is a 1GB (KP1000?) version, probably others).

I was able to sync up some files with Windows Media Player 10.5 and the player worked well for a couple days. Then I added a couple more files and when I next tried to use the player, it told me there were 'no files'. Lame. I checked the information available on the player itself and it noted that there were 300+MB of files on it--my songs. Lamer.

So when I got home I did a little bit of research on the inter-webs and found out that it wasn't a unique problem. But beyond the advice given there, I didn't find much else. So, if anything that I have gone through can help anyone else, here goes....

I used the Windows Media Player to re-format the mp3 player. Now I realize that if you want to format your player, just delete everything by hand as that's all WMP does. Thinking that maybe WMP was part of the problem (check some of this discussion), I downloaded MediaMonkey (free and very well done) to do my syncing. Had the same issues, but I do like MediaMonkey.

Finally broke down and tried the RealPlayer to sync things. While I found some other issues with that (said some mp3 files weren't transferable for some reason), the process worked. I think that the issue MIGHT have to do with how folders are created in the syncing process. RealPlayer seems to just toss all the files into the root directory. This is fine for this size player, since there won't be over 256 songs on it. 256 is the limit for files in a directory I think. I'll need to experiment some more with the other players to see if this is actually the issue.

Another work around, which may be a little annoying is to just copy the files as if the player is a USB key or some other drive. That works too. Like I said, some more experimentation may be in order to find out the real issue. I don't want to temp fate just yet though since I actually have my music ready to listen to. That fact may tempt me to exercise tomorrow!

Oh, and the 'tech support' for Audiophase as listed in the user manual just goes to some guy's desk. I don't think leaving him a message is really doing any good. If he isn't tech actually tech support, I am sure he is kinda sick of those calls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I had the same prob, so I just created a playlist on my media player and loaded it with all the songs i wanted on my mp3. that way they were all in a single folder on the player and all of the songs were visible.

Unknown said...

Yeah, for some reason this mp3 player doesn't like the standard music directory structure. Since I've left it as a 'flat' structure, it works fine. Haven't tried the playlist method, may have to do that soon.