Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Yves redux

Alright, I was hard on Yves in my last post about them. So I thought I'd share my latest positive experience with one of their products. I bought some of Yves Meatless Ground. I am a sucker for sales at the grocery store. I understand that many of these "sale" prices are somewhat artificial, but I still go for them, especially when they have those five special words: "Buy one, get one free". Oh yeah. So I got a couple of these fake ground beef things.

Now the trick was to figure out what to do with it. I ended up feeling a bit nostalgic for the cuisine of my youth. Sweet, sweet Hamburger Helper. Lasagna flavor to be exact. Using the fake meat actually was pretty darn good in the HH. I'd say that kids and many adults wouldn't think too much about it if they tried this. The texture is a bit different (bit chewy), but really the flavor comes from the HH packet anyway. And the Meatless ground is a bit cheaper than the real thing. Especially at buy one get one free.

1 comment:

micahcf said...

Ok, here's what we do with the Yves Good Ground. We take a bottle of Trader Jose's mexican sauce (it's like a good enchilada sauce, not a salsa) and fry it with the Good Ground until it just starts to reduce a bit. IT still has that chewy tvp texture, which isn't too much like beef, and it has a good taco meat flavor. We then put it in tacos.

Then, last week, we actually bought taco flavor Good Ground. Haven't tried that yet. Probably won't be as good as the sauce, but might still be good.

I'd just as soon skip it most of the time, but Jessica likes the extra protein.