Monday, May 07, 2007

Spiderwebs and persistence

No, this isn't a review of the new Spiderman movie.

I was walking to the park for my daily b-ball slammy-jam session. You know, to work on my reverse, no-look, one-handed dunks (OK, I may be exaggerating a little... "daily" may not be completely accurate) . Anyway, it's that time of year around here when the little spiders are out in full force, spinning webs like wild. Basically, wherever there are two connection points within five feet of each other, these spiders try and build some webby apparatus. Most of them fail, of course. I know this because I walk through 5-10 of these starter webs every time I go outside. Normally I am just mildly annoyed and hoping there isn't a spider on my head, but today I thought more specifically about those little guys (and gals!) spinning their webs. I mean, how many webs do they have to begin before they finally find that sweet spot. That spot where no deluded basketballers will walk through it. Where one of their key anchor points doesn't drive off to buy a burrito (my truck gets lots of webs and I get lots of burritos). The single-minded tenacity of these spiders is inspirational. I think it speaks to the need to continue on one's task until it gets done. It could be small tasks like cleaning the bathtub or some larger job, like cleaning a really big tub (or what have you). Persistence actually does pay off, in the arachnid world and in the people world.

I didn't expect to get any inspiration on my 20 minute excursion this afternoon, but there it was in the form of those annoying webs that I've snarled at for a few Springtimes. Noticing things is good. Seeing the positive in the clues nature gives us is even better. Now to get to that tub....

No comments: